Sunday, July 25, 2010

Creating "A New You" Group

So I am finding that weight loss is all about being present. Present in thoughts, actions and deeds. Not always easy to juggle all of these at the same time in the 3-rings of my circus, but I am doing my best. One day at a time. You won't believe how hard it is to say NO, walk away and regroup. Sometimes I can only focus on one ring at a time. Doing the best I can with my "thoughts" then move on to the "actions" and finally to the "deeds." But when I have days like that I find that I can still be pretty hard on myself. I might get moody...or just plain mad because I let a few bites of "chocolate" win! The other day it was a handful of chips. Salt was needed....not sure how to explain it maybe only the gals out there would really get this craving!
As with anything NEW it takes time and practice to really get it right. If I say YES to a naughty snack that "isn't highest and best" for me....then I must say YES to an extra block or 2 on my walk. It is about taking a moment to ask myself "is it worth it?" Do I really want to eat this? I must say, it is getting easier to be mindful of healthier choices that I am making. I like the feeling I have when I ask, listen and allow myself freedom to choose. No need for power struggles....guilt, shame or blame. And the very best thing I did lately, was to get into a fight with my scale. BTW-We still are not speaking. (it lies to me lol) A few weeks ago, I suddenly stopped losing weight. I hit a plateau. My body is trying to find a new balance. To not go all or nothing. I was upset when it said that I gained 4 1/2 lbs overnight. Impossible since I am eating so well and exercising. I sadly mentioned this a few nurse friends who kindly reminded me that "muscle" weighs more than fat! My legs are rock solid again! To stop weighing myself everyday. To go by how my clothes are fitting. duh...I knew this but FORGOT. Once took their advise I felt a whole lot better. What I realized is when I get scared....and fear fills the body mind and spirit EVERYTHING just stops flowing. My mind is so powerful.....I can create my reality in a snap of my fingers. I must continue to flow....so the weight can go!
The support group I am in once a month is little to no help. NO ONE talks about the connection to emotions during this process. NO ONE wants to walk with me or become a "healthy lap band buddy." Many have not changed old patterns. Still eat things they shouldn't, and DO NOT exercise. I must scare them because I am all about creating healthy changes on all levels.
Yes, it is just the beginning of the journey, but I am really feeling like I might actually get this figured out. (( : I am working on being more patient with myself. Taking time out to rest, days where I don't walk....just swim or use the hand weights. I don't have to "do it all at once." I don't want hurt my body. I want to take my time and do it right. I keep hearing, slow and steady wins the race, I am OK with this. I am going to check out other groups, advertise if I have to, to find others like me. And if I can't? Maybe I should start a group.
Last Thurs before circle Cathie and Teresa said, "your going to be the poster girl" for Lap band/weight loss surgery. I just laughed. But maybe they are onto something! Maybe it is about forming a new group for ALL people who struggle with weight. Who have had surgery or not. Offering positive encouragement and modivation, visualizing meditations, group sharing about the emotional around issues of weight gain and loss, creating a safe place for us to understand how to create healthier changes for our bodies, minds and Spirits. Sharing laughter, tears, cheers, ideas/ solutions to live in a world that doesn't always accept all shapes of people as equal. We can exchanging recipes and yes, maybe have a clothes exchange as we downsize! With weekly meeting times and places to walk and talk. So I am on it people. If you are interested let me know. Until I get this going, I am going to just offer meet up walking times:
Begining Aug 2 @ Greece Ridge Mall Mon-Fri meet at the Front Entrance by the Carousel SHARP> 8:30-9:30 AM please fb me to let me know your interested!

1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea, Robin. When I read the part about your support group, it was clear to me that you were the one providing support! It was help to you, just not in the way you had originally intended. You will no doubt make some great discoveries in your new group.

    ReplyDelete